This is not my traditional post about my immediate family....
For those of you who don't know, I have a soccer family that is very important to me. I've been playing soccer all my life, and have been playing on the women's team I'm currently on since Chandler was born (basically, for almost 7 years). I've been thinking of "retiring" for the last couple seasons, but would really miss all of them, so I haven't. I am part of a team that really has 2 teams in different divisions. Almost 2 years ago, my "family" was devastated with the news that a teammate has ALS - yes, Lou Gehrig's disease. Kim was only 29 and with a newborn when she was diagnosed. I get e-mails from my coach with updates, and recently found her own updates on her new foundation's website: http://www.kimkimfoundation.org
Here's why I'm telling you about this. I'm always looking for somewhere to make our tax-exempt donations - somewhere where it's really going to make a difference and somewhere where it really means something. I believe it does here. If you are looking for the same thing, please consider donating here, too.
I was reading one of her e-mail updated today, and read one of the most inspiring things she said: "As usual, this e-mail is much longer than I intended. I just have one more thing I’d like to talk about and then I’ll be done. :) Based on a few comments I’ve gotten, I think some of you are worried I might lose my faith. Don’t worry. I know God loves me. I believe He has a plan for my life. I’m not too thrilled with how this plan seems to be playing out, but that doesn’t alter my faith. I get sad and angry and frustrated at my situation, but I do my best not to let those feelings monopolize my day. It helps to remember I have a wonderful husband who loves me. I have a beautiful, healthy son who gives the sweetest hugs and makes me laugh every day. I have family and friends who offer tremendous support. And while I definitely believe it is in God’s power to lift this from me, I need to acknowledge it may not be in His plan. This doesn’t mean I’ve given up; we’re still praying for a happy ending, and we sincerely appreciate all the prayers being said on our behalf!"
Even more surprising was to read her own "laundry list" of side effects and problems she's encountering now with this disease....
"Beside all that, here’s the new laundry list:
Knuckles on left hand are tender and hurt to fully bend.
Right hand’s thumb, middle finger, and ring finger are only ones still working ok.
Range of motion in ankles and wrists has worsened.
Legs seem generally weaker and less coordinated.
Cannot stand unassisted if seated too low or on the ground unless I hold on to something.
Right knee is starting to pop back a little when I walk.
Knees ache after standing or walking for long periods of time.
Calf muscles and hamstrings are extremely tight.
Stumble over my toes more often.
Climbing in and out of bed more difficult.
Shoulders are considerably weaker which makes eating, driving, etc more difficult.
Head falls back more easily.
Notice considerably more spasms in arms and along entire back.
Muscles in face and jaw fatigue more quickly when talking and eating.
Tongue has lost function.
Much harder to move food and pills around in mouth.
Need to open my mouth to move food under teeth.
Big bites are difficult to deal with.
Top lip has less function.
Cannot reach lip with tongue or bottom teeth.
Cannot seal mouth as well around a straw.
Harder to rub lips together."
I can't imagine being in the situation she's in (or even having 1 of the laundry list's effects!), and will hope that this e-mail will encourage you, as well, to pray for her and her family. It has also re-affirmed my belief that my kids won't remember how clean my house is or how much laundry is done, but hopefully they will remember the time I spend with them (and anyone/everyone else I love)!
If you want to view video of Kim from July, copy and paste into your browser:
http://www.kimkimfoundation.org/flash/als gala.html
Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and to all of you whom will say a little (or big!) prayer for them!
December Recap
8 months ago
1 comment:
Are you kidding me Jamie, thanks for making a pregnant girl cry! Kim will definitly be in our prayers.
Post a Comment